Friday, December 26, 2008

O Christmas Tree

I posted the picture John took of Neo at the tree, but I still felt the need to formally announce that we put up a tree this year. I think John put up one our first Christmas together, and I believe I had one up when my goddaughter lived here, but otherwise, there has been little in the way of Christmas decoration around since my mom died eleven years ago. New house = new attitude (I hope). I still miss my parents, obviously, and mourn them, but am going to try to find some joy too.

A few days ago, I joked about being done with decorating, but last week, I decided that I definitely needed a tree. My old tree was damaged and discarded awhile back, so I had to go out and buy a new one. I don't remember them being this expensive - even on sale the big ones were out of my price range. As it turned out, I had just enough ornaments for this 4-footer, so it's all good. Since it's been something like ten years since any of these ornaments were out of their packaging, it was a nice trip down memory lane.

Tree Collage 1
Big pic: Maggie under the tree. I am so very proud of all of our kitties. I don't even know if Cass and Charlie have even seen a tree before, but several days after it was put up, it's still standing. As far as I can tell, only one ornament was dislodged, and it wasn't put up all that well to begin with. Mostly, they're content with sitting under it or next to it, and loving on it a little. (Neo has been caught chewing the (fake) branches.)
Right top: One of 3 glass balls that survived from my childhood.
Right middle: There used to be a pair of angels - this pink one (for me) and a blue one (for my brother), but his didn't make it. As it is, I had to glue a ring on this one's wing so there was something to hang her by.
Right bottom: Christmas 1973, I was eight. (So glad my mom added initials and dates!) I have a feeling I just didn't want to do this project, because this is terrible! There are a bunch more that my mom painted; a few years ago I gave my brother the one he painted.

Tree Collage 2
A few more pics, from left to right:

  1. A fake bird, sitting atop a tiny nest. Must have been my homage to Mary Ellen's nest in The Homecoming.
  2. Acorn light cover. I would like a bunch more of these... and a string of lights that they'll fit over. (Next year, I promise.)
  3. One of my Emergency Yarn Ornaments.
  4. I have a few of these snowflakes, crocheted by my great-grandmother.
  5. Another one of the glass balls from my childhood.

No comments: