Sunday, November 9, 2008

Did You Ever...

...decide you wanted to watch a movie, badly, then not be able to get your hands on it? If so, then you know how frustrated I was this afternoon when I came downstairs to grab The Homecoming DVD off the shelf and it wasn't there!

When I examined my memories, I don't exactly remember ever buying it on DVD. I distinctly remember getting it on VHS, because I joined one of those stupid clubs just to get it (pre-Amazon). (I like the Waltons. So there.)

I was 6 when it came out; although I probably didn't see it immediately, I know that I was near enough Elizabeth's age to connect with the character for that reason, although I probably had much more in common, personality-wise, with Mary Ellen. I loved Mary Ellen's fit about the nest in the tree, and hated the charity lady but loved ME for having a verse at the ready for the kids. I didn't understand the whole thing about "the recipe" for the longest time. Don't ask why, but I got the biggest kick of the them acknowledging/using the toilet -- it didn't happen on TV when I was a kid. Heck, the Brady kids' (started later than the Waltons) bathroom didn't even have a toilet.

I will remedy this next payday, but I'll admit to being agitated. It's a Christmas movie, but I always associate it with Thanksgiving - I think because that's when they showed it around here during my formative years. I don't even get into Thanksgiving (painful memories associated with my mom's death), but there are some things that have to happen during the holidays, and this is usually one of them, whenever the mood strikes (I have certain Halloween movies that I watch whenever that mood strikes). I will likely be packing and moving this year when T-day rolls around. Basically, I was in the mood to watch it. No tears were shed, no tantrums thrown. John suggested a different movie (completely different: Twister), followed by my pick, Goonies. (I don't think he actually likes Twister; he must have picked it because he knows I like it.)

When Christmas gets closer, in the mood or not I have to watch: A Muppet Christmas Carol, Scrooged and Mixed Nuts. Usually, It's Christmas Charlie Brown is in the mix as well. If I'm really in the mood, A Christmas Story and Miracle on 34th Street get watched too. One movie that never gets watched in this house, for different reasons: It's a Wonderful Life. I've never seen it, and plan to keep that record.

What are your must dos/don'ts for the holidays?

2 comments:

Steph said...

I have to watch Muppet Christmas Carol at least twice between T-day and Xmas. I almost always watch Love Actually while wrapping presents. The Family Stone has also made it onto my list of favorite holiday movies. Oh, and no Thanksgiving is complete without my mom's homemade-from-scratch noodles, which are thick and delicious and cook by simmering for hours in chicken broth. This year I'll probably be attempting to make my own batch of noodles, as we are on our own for T-day. Wish me luck...

Mel said...

I forgot about Love Actually. What a great movie!

Someday, I'm going to attempt my grandmother's potato dumplings for Christmas. We had this fabulous Slavic T-day one year, about 21 years ago (one of my cousin's first - only way I'd remember).