Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Review: Star Trek


It's been awhile since I've posted a review, so a quick refresher on my rating system: on a scale from one to five, inversely related to how much knitting I got done during the movie. Five balls means I got only a couple of stitches done or it never occurred to me to pull out the project. One ball means I got a lot of knitting done. In this case, it was definitely the latter - what knitting?

The new Star Trek... what can I say? Yes, I'm a geek. I like science fiction. I've even enjoyed some Star Trek - shows, movies, homages. Firefly kind of ruined Trek for me - I started thinking "what if these planets didn't want to be in the Federation?" (You'd have to have seen Firefly to understand where that logic was coming from.)

But this movie... dayum. I've seen it twice, and John has seen it three times (two weeks before the release, a friend of his had advanced release tickets). Seriously, hands-down, a great flick. I'm in awe of Karl Urban, who played Leonard "Bones" McCoy, who gave the distinct impression that he was channeling DeForest Kelley. Apparently, this guy can do anything he sets his mind to.

With an entirely new cast playing characters many of us grew up with, there is a danger that they'd be caricatures or impressions of the original cast. It's difficult to put into words, but let me just say that I cringed a little when I thought of the possibilities (bad Saturday Night Live sketches, etc.). Then I saw the movie. Even though Urban's Bones was eerily reminiscent of Kelley's, it wasn't an impression. The characters were enough like the originals to be recognizable, but they were fresh and exciting at the same time.

You don't have to be a Trekkie or sci fi fan to enjoy this movie. It helps, of course, but overall, it's an enjoyable event.

Other movies
We've only seen a couple other movies (in theaters) in the last few months: Monsters v. Aliens and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. I enjoyed them both, but I don't have a lot to say by way of review.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I am not a sci fi geek or a raving trekkie but I totally agree that this movie is awesome. I kind of what to see it again too!

Unknown said...

I loved the movie. Helloooo, New Spock!

I'm not sure if this was established in the original series, but in the Next Generation, planets were applying to join the Federation and had to be approved. No planets were forced to join, so that makes the Federation different from the Alliance. Well, that and the pleasant lack of Reavers.