Sunday, May 24, 2009

Goodbye, Sweet Boy

We said goodbye to our dear Sheldon this morning.

Sheldon, March 2009

John became concerned early this morning (around 5) when he came to bed after pulling an all-nighter (editing) and Sheldon wasn't asleep next to me. He looked all over, then heard a retching noise and found Sheldon spitting up blood. We bundled him up and took him to a 24-hour veterinary hospital; on the way there, we came to the conclusion that it was time for Shel to be at peace. He had been having a harder time eating, and has lost more weight. He couldn't even go outside - he so loved to rush past us and down the stairs to eat some grass - anymore because the grass made him ill. He hardly seemed aware of his surroundings on the trip. They inserted an IV catheter in his front right leg and we said our goodbyes. I stayed with him for the injection; John could not, and I understand why.

We got home without him a little after 7 this AM, and it's been so strange. He was the one cat that got along with all the others (and vice versa), the glue that held them all together.

He'd been with me for almost 16 years (and with John for six), and was my constant, ever-faithful companion. He had a knack for knowing when I was hurting, and would come to comfort me if he heard me crying. He was with me through my mom's illness, and after her passing, and the same for my dad. He was my friend when I had no other. I know he's at peace, and out of pain, but my heart is breaking. I'm still almost catching glimpses of him out of the corner of my eye.

More pics of Sheldon

Charlie has been extra clingy, and Maggie has been hiding. The three of them were nap-buddies; we'd frequently find them nestled together, sleeping.

10 comments:

Jennifer W. said...

So sorry, Mel...

Unknown said...

I'm really sorry, CCL Mel.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Sarah said...

Oh Mel, reading this breaks my heart. I know you will miss him terribly. Our dog has been gone two years and still everything reminds me of him. ((Hugs to you both))

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your great loss. I know how it feels. I had a wonderful cat for 17 years, and I still miss him so much.

CeliaAnne said...

Oh, hon. It is so very sad.

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

im so sorry about ur cat!! I know how hard it is! i lost mine a few years ago...
**HUGS**

cheryl said...

Oh Mel, that is so sad! We have an old cat Gizmo who is 15, I know the day is coming when it will be his turn but I dread it. He was my daughters 9th birthday present, now that she is grown and gone he is my DH's special buddy.

I can tell he was a very special friend. Some animals are just so perfect at being a comforter. I hope your sorrow will soon be replaced with happy memories and another special friend.

persephony4 said...

The passing of a long loved pet is hard. It is even harder when they are taken too soon from you. (I had a cat that went to the vet for a routine check up and didn't come home.) Faithful companions no matter what, they all will be remembered and forever loved.

An ASPCA donation will be made in memory of Sheldon for you. Thoughts and well wishes to you and John.

Nancy G said...

Mel, I am so very sorry for your loss; I know how much you must be hurting right now. Gentle hugs and purrs coming your way...