Thursday, August 18, 2011

Smash Book


My Smash Book arrived this afternoon. I got the orange one, because it's the "simple" version and you can't see the interior pages before ordering. One of my two favorite colors is orange, so that was also a factor. I'm a little bummed that the pen/glue stick combos only come in black, pink and blue, and none of my faves, but it's still a new venture. If all goes well, I'm sure they'll come up with more.

These actually premiered in the spring, but I'm a bit out of the loop, since I don't scrapbook anymore (these books are big with scrapbookers), but when I heard about them, several thoughts went through my head:
  • I could probably make one. But they're only $12.99 each, so it wouldn't hurt to get the official one and try it out.
  • This would be a good exercise to get away from all things digital. Nothing wrong with digital, but I'm online a lot. I used to be the person who collected ephemera: ticket stubs, fortune cookie slips, etc.. Mostly, I kept it in a box, but sometimes I stuck it up on bulletin boards, etc. I can't remember the last time I held onto a movie ticket.
  • I am SO getting one for my niece for Giftmas. Maybe my nephew, too. (She's 13 & he's 9.) It's good to have plans for a couple of gifts already.
 This book seems very solid and well-put-together. If I felt the need to make my own, it wouldn't be to save money (time is worth money and it would take a lot of time to make one), but if I wanted a highly customized version, then it might be fun.

The thing is...I'm a little intimidated by it. Where do I start? What do I put in it? I'm going to spend a little time on the blog to get some inspiration.

There's a demo video, if you want to see more. Once I stop holding my breath and start smashing stuff into the book, I'll post again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I might try this out. I save a lot of this sort of memorbilia but I never know what to do with it. So it just lays around in drawers and such.

I'll probably just use an empty journal I have laying around. I have nearly a whole shelf full. People love giving me journals for some reason. I am interested in coming up with one of those sweet pen/glue combos. That is a clever idea.

Cateling said...

Thanks for sharing this! Looks super cute and a great giftmas idea for my daughter (age 9).